Legacy Breast Cancer Risk Assessment
Hereditary breast cancer syndrome
Women with a genetic mutation have up to a 65 percent lifetime risk of developing breast cancer and an almost six-fold higher risk of a second breast cancer diagnosis. In addition, women who harbor a mutation have a 20–40 percent lifetime risk of developing ovarian cancer.
Watch this news story to learn more about genetic counseling and testing.
Make an appointment with Legacy Genetic Services: 503-413-6534 or toll-free 1-800-220-4937.
Who should consider screening
Women with risk factors may wish to consider genetic counseling. Risk factors for hereditary cancer include:
- Personal or family history of breast cancer before age 50
- Personal or family history of ovarian cancer at any age
- Patients with two or more primary diagnoses of breast and/or other cancer
- Male breast cancer diagnosed in first-degree relatives
- Relatives of a gene mutation carrier
- People of certain ethnic backgrounds such as Ashkenazi Jewish, French Canadian or Scandinavian descent
Learn more about the issues surrounding genetic counseling and testing.