What we do
All procedures or surgeries for kids start in the Day Surgery Department. We offer inpatient and outpatient services, from surgery preparation through recovery and discharge for children from birth through age 17. Every aspect of our service is focused on making your child feel comfortable and safe. Our pediatric specialists are trained in the practice and art of "distraction techniques" to make procedures easier for children.
Our pediatric anesthesiologists are all medical doctors, many of whom are fellowship trained in pediatric anesthesiology. In addition, all of our nurses are trained and certified in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS).
Child Life services
We understand that being at the hospital can be scary for kids. That's why Day Surgery works with our Child Life program to support your child every step of the way. Our Child Life staff members are experts in child development. They help kids manage any anxiety they might have by preparing them for surgery or hospitalization. Children typically process life through play so our experts use play as a part of this process. Child Life supports children emotionally through their whole experience and can also help patient's siblings. Beginning at the pre-admission process, parents can schedule a tour for through Child Life.
Helping kids heal
Top to bottom, our building is designed to promote your child's comfort and healing. We've incorporated data from evidence based design into every aspect of our hospital. These design elements include innovations that create a peaceful, soothing environment shown to help young patients heal faster. Our Day Surgery department offers:
- Private rooms located on the same level as our operating suites for our patient's convenience.
- A playroom
- The GetWell Network-an "infotainment" network that provides movies, video games, and entertainment
- A comfortable environment for family members to be with their child through the entire stay
- Operating suites with the new STEALTH system-a Medtronic Navigation Technology used for orthopedic surgery and neurosurgery. Images are projected through a satellite to pinpoint the affected area.
- Minimally invasive surgical instruments that are specially designed and sized for children.
Day Surgery is dedicated to offering the safest, most comfortable environment for your child and family before, during and after surgery.
Getting ready for surgery
To prepare for surgery, go here
or download our fact sheet