Script for focus goup patient/family member
Before group members begin to arrive:
- Arrange furniture for a focus group - circle or semi-circle so people can see each other
- Set up refreshments
- Set out pencils, copies of the medication lists and nametags
As they arrive:
- Greet and chat with people as they come in
- Ask them to sign in and take a nametag
- Offer refreshments
- Encourage them to read and fill out the informed consent
- Collect the signed informed consents
Good evening! Thank you all for coming!
My name is (name) , the (position title) for the Medication Reconciliation process. My colleague is (name) , the (position title) .
We've invited you here this evening to ask for your input about the medication lists Legacy is providing to you at discharge. To improve care, all accredited hospitals across the country are creating a process to collect an accurate list of home medications. This list is used to prescribe safe and appropriate medications during the hospital stay and also to help clarify exactly what medications you should take after you leave the hospital. The specifics of this process are up to each hospital, but we want to make sure you're getting a useful, easy to understand list that helps makes your transition home easier.
We'd like to hear from you about the medication lists to find out if they meet your needs and provide you with useful information. The lists are intended to provide better information to you and to your physician, in order to improve the care you receive. How many of you received a medication list when you were discharged from the hospital (show of hands)?
Some possible questions:
- Are the lists easy to read?
- Do you understand what the lists tell you?
- Is the information in the lists useful to you?
- If not, what would you change and how would you change it?
- Is it helpful to get two lists? Does this make it easier to understand which medications you need to take and which you should no longer take?
- Is there anything else that you think should be added to the lists?
- Do you keep the list with you when you go to the doctor?
- Are you using the yellow medication card? Do you find it helpful?
Do you have any questions for us?
Our time is almost up. You've been a great deal of help and we've learned a lot.