Reasons to have bariatric surgery (weight-loss surgery)
Bariatric surgery is not for everyone, but those who qualify can experience these benefits:
• On average, bariatric surgery (weight-loss surgery) patients lose, and keep off, 50 to 70 percent of their weight in the first year. If patients eat healthy and exercise, they continue to lose weight for up to two years after surgery.
• Bariatric surgery patients’ overall health improves remarkably. They are also able to better manage diabetes.
• Bariatric surgery patients enjoy more confidence and energy!
Is bariatric surgery right for you?
A surgeon will help decide if surgery is right for you. Your insurance will also have requirements you must meet and we will help you understand what they are.
Our requirements include:
• A body mass index (BMI) more than 40. A BMI more than 35 is acceptable if you also have a condition such as high blood pressure, heart disease or diabetes. Check your BMI here.
• Proof that you have already tried to lose weight
• A motivation to make lifestyle changes. You will need to be more active and eat healthy.
• Smoke-free for at least three months
• Able to tolerate general anesthesia
Types of bariatric surgery
• Laparoscopic gastric bypass: Makes the stomach so small that only a little bit of food can be eaten at a time
• Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: An inflatable band goes around the upper part of the stomach to make it smaller so that patients feel full more quickly
• Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: Most of the stomach is removed, leaving a long tube from the esophagus to the small bowel. This limits the amount of food that can be eaten at one time.
• Revisional surgery: A small number of patients need to have more procedures after bariatric surgery to help manage complications and for best results. These vary.
1. Come to our welcome group, and complete the first set of consultations with us.
2. Meet with one of our surgeons.
3. Come to a pre-operation class.
4. Have bariatric surgery.
5. Go to surgery follow-up appointments. You will need to make five visits to the clinic within the first year after your surgery.
We also offer support groups that meet once a month for patients before and after surgery. All support groups are free, held in a comfortable setting and led by a health care professional.