Cancer and Blood Disorders
When your child is dealing with an illness, you want the best possible care in a warm, compassionate environment that promotes healing and supports your child's emotional, social, educational and psychological needs. That's exactly what you'll receive from the Children's Cancer and Blood Disorders Program at Randall Children's Hospital at Legacy Emanuel.
Every child is cared for by a team of specialists who work together to plan and coordinate your child’s care. Parents are encouraged to take an active role. This approach is known as “family-centered care” and helps improve outcomes for our young patients. Our patients and families consistently comment on the positive effect our culture — the warmth, friendliness and personal approach of all our staff — has on their child's recovery.
Our cancer patients have access to emerging treatment and therapies through clinical trials offered by the Children's Oncology Group, the world's largest organization devoted exclusively to childhood cancer research. These treatments increasingly include targeted therapies tailored to the genetic make-up of tumors.
Randall Children's Hospital's pediatric oncologists care for children from infancy through 21 years of age or older when appropriate. We treat all types of childhood cancers, specializing in the treatment of:
- Blood disorders, including sickle cell anemia and other types of anemia
- Brain tumors
- Blood cancers, including leukemia and lymphoma
- Late effects or long-term side effects of earlier childhood cancer and its treatment
- Pre-cancerous conditions
We've designed our hospital to help your child feel more comfortable and encourage faster recovery times with:
- An outpatient infusion center with private family rooms with big windows overlooking the garden terrace. This provides a welcoming environment for kids of all ages who spend hours receiving infusion or chemo treatments.
- A special room for older kids who want to hang out with their friends while getting chemo
- Rooms with interactive TVs and touch screens so kids can play games during treatment
- A "clean" floor to help protect immune-compromised kids, including cancer and heart patients
All treatment in one place
Our program is located on the third and fourth floors of the hospital with our services grouped together so your child can easily visit multiple treatment areas in a single visit if necessary. We also understand that patients and families gain moral support from being around other families who are also fighting cancer.
Follow-up care and survivorship
Our "Victory Clinic" offers continued health support and individualized care for your child after treatment. We also see adult survivors of childhood cancers, who may struggle with long-term treatment side effects or need ongoing monitoring.
For more information about our Children's Cancer and Blood Disorders Program unit, see the fact sheet.
Children's Cancer and Blood Disorders Program
Randall Children's Hospital at Legacy Emanuel
2801 N. Gantenbein Ave., Third Floor
Portland, OR 97227
Clinic Hours: M-F, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Appointments, Referrals, Consults: 503-276-9300 or toll-free 1-877-543-7662 (1-877-KIDS-ONC )
Please read this before making an appointment.
Faith Galderisi, D.O.
Jason Glover, M.D.
Janice Olson, M.D., MHA, Medical Director
Elissa Pocze, PNP
Patricia Vrooman, CPNP