Before group members begin to arrive:
- Arrange furniture for a focus group - circle or semi-circle so people can see each other
- Set up refreshments
- Set out pencils, copies of the medication lists and nametags
As they arrive:
- Greet and chat with people as they come in
- Ask them to sign in and take a nametag
- Offer refreshments
- Encourage them to read and fill out the informed consent
- Collect the signed informed consents
Good evening! Thank you all for coming!
My name is (name) , the (position title) for the Medication Reconciliation process. My colleague is (name) ,the (position title).
We've invited you here this evening to ask for your input about the medication lists Legacy is providing to patients at discharge and sending to the next provider of care at transfer and discharge. These lists were created to improve patient safety and to meet the Joint Commission's National Patient Safety Goal about Medication Reconciliation. Legacy received a grant from the government to research, develop and implement this process of medication reconciliation. We would like to hear from you about the discharge medication lists in order to find out if they meet your needs and provide useful information. These lists are intended to provide better information to the patient and to the primary care provider, in order to improve the care we deliver.
Some possible questions the leader can ask:
- Is the list easy to create (if you are creating it)?
- Do you like the format of the list?
- Is it useful to have the list?
- Is the transfer process clear?
- Is it easy to communicate this list to the next provider of care?
- Do you feel this new process is value added?
- Do you think patients value the list that is given to them?
- Do patients bring the list with them when they visit their primary care physician?
- Are patients bringing a medication list to the pharmacy when they fill prescriptions?
- What would you change and how would you change it?
- Is there anything else that you think should be added to the lists?
Do you have any questions for us?
Our time is almost up. You've been a great deal of help and we've learned a lot.