Legacy Health invests in our nurses by offering an evidence-based residency program for new graduate nurses. The Legacy Health R.N. Residency program helps the new nurse gain the experience, judgment, skills, and confidence they need to navigate the transition to professional nursing practice from academia. R.N. Residents progress to the competent level quickly, safely, and effectively.
About the program
Designed by nurses for nurses, this unique nursing program prepares new graduate nurses by organizing and overseeing all aspects of their transition. A network of nurses act as preceptors, mentors, and debriefers, supporting the new graduate nurse professionally and emotionally throughout the program. With proven success, after just 18 weeks new grads achieve the same competence and self-assurance as a nurse in practice for 18 months.
- This 18-week program is comprised of core and specialty curriculum and guided clinical experience.
- A portion of the program (25%) focuses on courses featuring current and emerging clinical guidelines and standards, labs, and simulations.
- Clinical experience led by expert preceptors at the bedside makes up the remaining 75%.
- A mentor provides professional guidance along with acclimation to the unit of hire.
- Routine debriefing sessions with trained facilitators provide a safe place to share experiences with other nurses in the cohort.
- Looping experiences to different units enhance communication between healthcare professionals.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.25.
- External applicants will need to have a BSN to be considered for the program
- Internal applicants (current Legacy employees) who have attained an ADN will only be considered if they are already enrolled in a BSN program.
- After 2020, all applicants must have a BSN in order to be considered for the R.N. Residency program
- 2 year employment commitment following the completion of the 18 week residency program.
As an R.N. Resident you will be hired into a specific unit at one of Legacy Health's seven medical centers and Unity Center for Behavioral Health. Units of hire are based on candidate preference, as well as available openings in the department. See the list of specialty areas - Click here.
The next Legacy Health RN Residency program will begin on Monday, February 5, 2018. The application process for this winter cohort is now open.
*The deadline to submit all materials is Wednesday, October 4, 2017. To apply, please log onto Legacy Health’s careers webpage accessible here: click on “Find jobs and apply” and apply to job #17-2198. For additional information about Legacy Health’s RN Residency Program, please review the list of frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, please email us.