Advanced imaging tools to guide precise treatment.
How interventional radiology works
Interventional radiology uses a variety of advanced imaging methods to help doctors find and treat tumors with precision. These minimally invasive methods are increasingly playing a role in cancer treatment for certain tumors, often replacing more traditional approaches.
Legacy Cancer Institute has long been a leader in the field of interventional radiology, using images from CT scan, fluoroscopy, X-ray, ultrasound or MRI technologies to help navigate the pathways of the body. Catheters, wires, balloons and stents can be guided to specific places inside the body. These tools then help the doctor:
- Deliver cancer drugs and treatments, such as:
- Cryoablation or radiofrequency ablation (RFA)
- Chemoembolization and drug-eluting bead therapy
- Intra-arterial cancer treatment
- Clinical trials with Yttrium 90, a leading-edge internal radiation treatment
- Biopsy tumors (surgically take a portion for testing)
You are not alone. Legacy offers support throughout your cancer journey, as well as care for your emotional, social and spiritual needs.