Scholarships, Student Loans and Tuition Reimbursement
U.S. Government Programs
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Service's Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) has two programs that provide loan repayment or scholarships for healthcare educational expenses.
- HRSA Nursing Education Loan Repayment Program (NELRP) — Nurses are eligible to apply for NELRP if they have:
- Received a baccalaureate or associate degree in nursing, a diploma in nursing or a graduate degree in nursing
- Obtained one or more nursing student loans per the guidelines
- Entered into an agreement to work as a full-time nurse in a qualified facility for at least two years.
Legacy Emanuel, Legacy Good Samaritan and Legacy Mount Hood hospitals each qualify as a Disproportionate Share Hospital for NELRP eligibility. Visit here to learn more and request an application packet, or call HRSA at 800-221-9393.
- HRSA Nursing Scholarship Program — Scholarships from this program are awarded to students who are attending nursing schools in exchange for two years of service in a healthcare facility that is experiencing a critical shortage of nurses. To learn more or obtain an application packet, visit the HRSA website or call 800-221-9393.
Return to the Top
- Legacy's Educational Assistance Program — Legacy provides tuition reimbursement for approved courses at accredited colleges and universities. To be eligible for tuition reimbursement, the employee must be a regular active-status employee scheduled to work at least 24 hours per week, with at least twelve months in a benefit eligible position at the time of application for course approval. Additional information and application forms are available by contacting the HR Answer Center, 503-415-5100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Peterson and Lloydena Grimes Scholarships — These two scholarships are available for eligible students at the Linfield-Good Samaritan School of Nursing. For more information contact:
Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center
1015 N.W. 22nd Ave.
Portland, OR 97210
- Foundation and volunteer auxiliary scholarships— Legacy's hospital foundations and volunteer auxiliaries award annual scholarships to students living in Legacy's service area who are entering college and plan a career in health care.
Health Careers Foundation
Opportunities for scholarships and loans have been available through Health Careers Foundation, a national not-for-profit organization. As a result of the Foundations's current financial circumstances, no new scholarships are being offered at this time. Current scholarship and loan commitments are being honored. Go to here to find out the latest information of when new applications might be accepted.