Your Records

 How to get medical and billing records

Home > Patients & Visitors > About Your Care > Medical Records

Patients* have two options for requesting or viewing records

* HIPAA defines a patient as a person who "has authority to act on behalf of an individual who is an adult or an emancipated minor in making decisions related to health care." 

If you are a third-party who cannot make healthcare decisions for the patient (examples may include attorneys, financial companies, life insurance companies, housing authorities, employers, etc.) you must follow our third-party request instructions.

Third-parties have one option to request records

1.  By mail or fax

Step 1 - Read these instructions 

Step 2 - Complete and have the patient sign this form 

Note: If someone other than the patients sign this form, the requester must include proof that they are legally allowed to sign for and make health care choices for the patient. An attorney for the patient is not a personal representative under HIPAA unless specifically appointed to make health care decisions for the patient. 

Step 3 - Fax the completed form to 855-892-7124 or mail to:

Legacy Health, Release of Information Department
P.O. Box 2868
Portland, OR 97208

Request for amendment of Protected Health Information

Birth certificates

Hospitals do not issue birth certificates. Learn how to request these in Oregon and Washington.


Ask for the Release of Information Department.