What are the symptoms of the flu?
The flu is a common virus in the winter months. It can cause mild to severe illness and its symptoms appear quickly. Some of these symptoms include:
- Fever or chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
How do I treat the flu?
If you get ill, stay hydrated and treat a fever with ibuprofen or Tylenol. Most people recover in a few days or within two weeks, but some people can develop complications (such as pneumonia) because of the flu. Some of these can be life-threatening.
How do I prevent the flu?
The best way to fight the flu is with prevention, and the best prevention is the flu vaccine.
The flu vaccine can:
- Prevent the risk of getting the flu.
- Reduce the severity of illness for those who get it, particularly those with weak immune systems.
- Protect those around you from getting the flu.
- Learn more
Other preventative steps:
- Washing hands.
- Avoiding contact with those who are ill.
- Wearing masks in crowded indoor spaces.