GRANTS MANAGEMENT - Data & Resource Sharing Plan
Supporting our researchers' projects from concept to close-out.
The "Data and Resource Sharing Plan" is required in certain circumstances, optional in others.
There are no page or word limits for this section, however it is recommended that it be a brief 1-paragraph overview.
Upcoming Future Changes:
Effective January 25, 2023, a Data Sharing Plan will be REQUIRED for all applications.
- NOT-OD-21-013: Final NIH Policy for Data Management and Sharing
- Elements of an NIH Data Management and Sharing Plan
- Data Management & Sharing Policy Overview | Data Sharing (nih.gov)
When is a Data and Resource Sharing Plan currently required?
- When you are seeking $500,000 or more in direct costs in any budget period
- Specific FOAs may require that all applications include this information regardless of the dollar level - please read the FOA carefully to see if this will apply to your application
- NIH Application Guide - Data and Resource Sharing Plan
- NIH's Data Sharing Policy Overview
- Writing a plan (with examples): Writing a Data Management & Sharing Plan
- FAQ - Current Data Sharing FAQ
- FAQ - upcoming 2023 changes: 2023 FAQ
- NIH's page on Public Access and Open Science
- Include a brief 1-paragraph description of how final research data will be shared, or explain why data-sharing is not possible (for example human subject concerns, the Small Business Innovation Development Act provisions, etc.).
Examples and Templates:
Many examples can be found online: Search now for sample Data and Resource Sharing Plans