GRANTS MANAGEMENT - Biosketches
Supporting our researchers' projects from concept to close-out.
The biosketch format page has been updated for application due dates and RPPR submissions on/after January 25, 2022
- Section B ‘Positions and Honors’ has been renamed ‘Positions, Scientific Appointments, and Honors’.
- For the standard Biosketch, Section D, Research Support, has been removed.
- As applicable, all applicants may include details on ongoing and completed research projects from the past three years that they want to draw attention to within the personal statement, Section A.
- New templates are available.
"Biosketches" are required for all Senior/Key Personnel and Other Significant Contributors.
Biosketches are limited to 5 pages and must follow the format set out in the examples and templates below.
- NIH Application Guide - Biosketch
- NIH Detailed Instructions - Biosketch Instructions (.docx)
- Deciding Roles - Team Roles and Agreements
- NIH Biosketch FAQs
- NIH Pre-award and Post-award Disclosure Matrix
Who qualifies as a Senior/Key Person?
Unless otherwise specified in a FOA, senior/key personnel are defined as all individuals who contribute in a substantive, meaningful way to the scientific development or execution of the project, whether or not salaries are requested. Consultants should be included as Senior/Key Persons if they meet this definition.
After PD/PI roles, the remaining Senior/Key Person Profiles should be included in alphabetical order. While alphabetical order is preferred, it is not required. However, be aware that these profiles will appear in the application in the order provided by the applicant. Therefore, peer reviewers will see them in the order presented.
Other Significant Contributors (OSCs).
OSCs are individuals who have committed to contribute to the scientific development or execution of the project, but are not committing any specified measurable effort (in person months) to the project.
These individuals are typically presented at “effort of zero person months” or “as needed” (individuals with measurable effort cannot be listed as Other Significant Contributors). Consultants should be included if they meet this definition.
Examples and Templates:
- LRI Biosketch Template - annotated with guidance (.docx)
- NIH Blank Biosketch (.docx)
- Biosketch Example - regular investigator (.docx)
- Biosketch Example - early stage investigator
Instructions & Info: