Volunteering and giving
Volunteering your time with Legacy Hospice can change your life and the lives of others. Whether it’s a gentle smile, holding a patient’s hand or giving a much needed break for the family, hospice volunteers are rewarded with the appreciation of those they serve. We offer a free comprehensive training program several times each year that includes information on understanding hospice, symptom management, communication, grief, and body mechanics. All volunteers are expected to make a one year commitment to volunteer service.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact:
- Legacy Hospice (in Portland metro area and McMinnville): Lori Cannon, 503-225-6385
- Legacy Hopewell House Hospice (SW Portland): Denise Beaudoin, 503-244-7890 or 800-903-5118
Download the 2018 hospice training schedule and the application for volunteering.
Respite and friendly visitor volunteers
- Offer comfort and reassurance
- Read to patients
- Care for patients so caregivers can take a break
- Help patients continue favorite activities
- Offer a listening ear to patients and families
- Prepare a meal
- Help patients with household tasks
- Help patients take walks
Pet Pals Program
- Transport animals to and from the veterinarian or groomer
- Pick up and deliver supplies
- Change litter boxes or cages
- Walk animals
- Pet photography
Volunteers provide a calm presence whether they are sitting with the patient, talking and listening, sharing silence, providing healing touch, reading religious or inspirational text, helping with rituals, telling stories, lighting candles or sharing inspiration music.
We Honor Veterans volunteers (http://www.wehonorveterans.org/)
Veteran volunteers offer veteran patients support, reassurance and building a bond at end of life.
Parent to Parent
Parents who have lost a child on hospice provide support to parents who have children coming onto hospice.
- Work in the office
- Telephone bereaved families
- Special events and groups
- Art therapy
- Massage therapy
- Pet therapy
*You need to be licensed or certified in these areas to provide these specialized services.
Hopewell House volunteers
Our volunteers are a huge part of our team of compassionate care that is provided to patients and their families.Volunteers provide:
- Direct patient care in an 11-room facility
- Support for families whose loved ones are patients at the facility
- Pet, massage and music therapy
- Volunteer office support
- Special events
- Assist staff with bathing and transferring
Donations help Legacy Hospice Services provide services to the terminally ill and their families. These funds are also used to provide medical equipment and supplies to those without resources.
When a loved one dies, many families like to donate in their memory and to recognize hospice services through memorial gifts in lieu of, or in addition to, other tributes. You may donate to our Pet Peace of Mind program, Care Champions or other Legacy programs.
All donations are tax deductible. To donate, visit our Foundations
page or call 503-415-4700.
The Office of Philanthropy P.O. Box 4484 Portland, Oregon 97208
Passage quilts help families cope with loss
READ MORE >