Adult immunization schedule
Legacy recommendations for adult immunizations
Children in the United States are routinely vaccinated to protect them from more than a dozen diseases such as measles, polio and tetanus. Most of these diseases are now at their lowest levels in history, thanks to years of immunization.
But just because you're grown up doesn't mean you can ignore immunizations. The family practice physicians at Legacy Medical Group recommend the following for adults:
- Chicken Pox - Anyone who has not had the disease. Those older than 13 require two shots.
- Hepatitis B - Adults working in high-exposure occupations such as health care and/or if you travel to areas where hepatitis B is common
- Human Papilloma Virus - Girls and women 13 to 26 to protect against cervical cancer
- Influenza - Every fall beginning at 50; yearly for all ages if you work in health care or have other risk factors
- Measles, mumps, rubella - Women of child-bearing age and people born after 1956, if you've never been immunized or had the disease
- Pneumonia - At least once in your life, at 65 or earlier if indicated
- Shingles - Adults 50 years and older, who have had chicken pox or the vaccine in the past, should get two doses of the vaccine (Shingrix) 2 to 6 months apart
- Tetanus, diptheria, pertussis (Tdap) - For adults every 10 years to combat all three of these bacterial diseases. Tetanus is also called lockjaw and is not contagious. Diphtheria and pertussis (also called whooping cough) are both contagious.
Legacy Employee Health is proud to offer free flu vaccinations to members of our community. Nursing stations will be set up at each Legacy Health medical center during the month of November. Locations and dates can be found here.
Over 3,000 vaccinations were provided to our community by this outreach last year.
- Everyone ages 6 months and older are welcome
- No payment or insurance required
- Vaccine options meet every need: egg-free, high-dose, preservative-free, latex-free, 4-strain
No matter where you live in the Portland-Vancouver metropolitan area, chances are there's a Legacy primary clinic close to you.