Hospice and grief support
Here are some guidelines to consider when thinking about whether hospice is appropriate.
- Terminal medical condition with a life expectancy of six months or less, assuming the illness runs its normal course, as certified by a physician.
- Agree to palliation (control) of symptoms and not cure of illness.
- Agree to follow the plan of care developed by the patient, family, physician and the hospice team.
- Live within the counties served by Legacy Hospice Services (Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas, Yamhill, Polk, and Marion counties)
- Have a place of residence (home, foster home or residential care facility), which is a safe environment for patient, caregiver and hospice staff.
- Patient and family anticipate need for 24-hour care. The hospice team does not provide full time caregivers, but can help find community resources when needed.
- All patients, who meet these guidelines, are accepted regardless of ability to pay.
To make a referral to hospice, call 503-220-1000.