Your summer commute is looking dreary
Beginning in early July and continuing through August, the Portland metro area will experience the busiest road construction season in a decade.
There will be major impacts consisting of 24/7 closures for multiple weeks. There will also be intermittent nighttime closures (10 p.m.- 5 a.m.) of freeway ramps and lanes to include some weekends.
One of the most significant road projects is the closure of several ramps, bridges, and lanes on Interstates 5 and 84.
With more than 130,000 vehicles daily accessing I-84 alone, there are bound to be major impacts and delays. The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) estimates that the commute on I-84 (between I-205 and I-5) during the hours of 5 a.m. and 11 p.m. could be 3 hours!
A fact-sheet about the project has been created by ODOT and is suitable for printing and posting on huddle boards. Additionally, a map of detours has also been provided.
Additional intermittent impacts will also take place during July and August. For a complete list with details on dates, times and locations, please click here.
Travelers can view and download the proposed closure schedule here. Please remember that all dates are subject to change, based on the progress of the work.
Tips for Legacy staff, patients and visitors:
• Expect traffic delays and plan accordingly
• Allow for extra time to get to/from work or appointments
• Follow local and social media for the most up to date information
• Communicate with hospital and clinics on appointments and procedures
• Be prepared, plan ahead, be patient
• Maintain a full tank of gas and refuel at a ½ tank
• Prepare for crowded alternate routes
• Pay attention to signs and obey construction speed limits
• Keep basic emergency supplies in your vehicle, including water or other beverages for hydration, snacks, emergency kit and cell phone charger
Tips to avoid the traffic:
• Stay home
• Work virtually - to include meetings
• Adjust your schedule to avoid peak traffic times
Here is an overview of that project and schedule:
July 8 to July 23
|Ramp from I-5 southbound to I-84 eastbound will completely close, 24/7.
July 25 to August 6
|Ramp from I-84 westbound to I-5 northbound will completely close, 24/7.
|July 27 to August 27
||I-84 westbound from Lloyd Center to I-5 south will be reduced to a one-lane slowdown.
For media inquiries, contact Ashley Stanford Cone.