Internal Medicine Residency Program
How to apply
How to apply to the program
Applications to our program are accepted via ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service). Paper applications will not be accepted. Contact your Dean’s Office or the ERAS website for information about registering on ERAS. We participate in the National Resident Matching Program and do not take residents outside the Match.
We offer career pathways in both Categorical and Preliminary Year Medicine.
Categorical Program NRMP Code Number: 1594140C0
Preliminary year NRMP Code Number: 1594140P0
Information to submit
In order to be considered for a position in our program, the following information should be submitted via ERAS:
- Completed ERAS application
- Personal statement
- Current photograph
- Medical school transcripts
- MSPE (Dean’s letter)
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE/COMLEX scores
- The application deadline for our program is the 3rd Friday in December.
- We prefer exam scores above 210 on USMLE and/or 525 on COMLEX. You must have passed USMLE/COMLEX Step 1 and 2 on the first attempt. It is recommended that applicants have step 2 scores prior to interviewing.
- Although we prefer USMLE scores, we will accept COMLEX
- You must have graduated from medical school with current clinical experience within the last one year.
- You must be ECFMG certified at the time of application unless you are a current student.
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens are responsible for obtaining governmental authorization to work and are expected to pay all expenses associated with obtaining such authorization, except those expenses for which the institution is legally required to pay.
- We do not sponsor visas but will accept an ECFMG sponsored J1.
- We do not offer observerships or externships.
Interviews at Legacy
- Interviews are conducted October through mid-January.
- Invitations to interview are sent after a complete application is received and reviewed.
- The interview consists of a group orientation, individual interviews, a tour of Legacy Emanuel Medical Center, and attendance at an academic event or conference such as Medical Grand Rounds.
- An off-campus social event for applicants and current residents is planned for most Wednesday evenings during the interview season. These events are intended to provide casual discussion about our program in a less formal, more relaxed environment.
Other education and career planning resources
- Search for residency and fellowship programs with FREIDA Online, the AMA Residency & Fellowship Database. FREIDA Online contains profiles of over 10,000 residency and fellowship programs, each accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
- American College of Physicians (ACP)
- American Medical Association (AMA)