Laparoscopic and Robotic Gynecologic Surgery Postgraduate Course
The 4th Advanced Laparoscopic and Robotic Gynecologic Surgery Postgraduate Course was be held on September 21, 2018 at The Legacy Institute for Surgical Education and Innovation.
Please check back in 2019 for the next date.
The goal of this course is to provide gynecologists who perform minimally-invasive surgery with an intensive hands-on experience in advanced laparoscopic and robotic techniques in a simulated learning environment. Inanimate and animate laboratory sessions will focus on the fundamentals of advanced laparoscopic surgery, instrumentation, energy sources, and specific operative procedures. The intensive hands-on laboratory experience will provide each participant with ample opportunity to practice operative procedures under the guidance of skilled faculty. Current indications and controversies will be discussed, as well as new techniques and technologies covered with an emphasis on their standing in the value based priorities coming to healthcare.
Legacy Institute for Surgical Education and Innovation
Legacy Research Institute
1225 NE 2nd Avenue
Portland, OR 97232
At the conclusion of this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Recognize best practices for laparoscopic and robotic hysterectomy, and how gynecologists have adapted their practices in response.
- Distinguish quality measures by which gynecologic surgeons will be evaluated and how this impacts reimbursement in a value based healthcare environment.
- Discuss laparoscopic complications.
- Demonstrate advanced laparoscopic procedures through simulation in an animate and inanimate laboratory setting.
- Identify pertinent anatomy, demonstrate appropriate electrosurgery principles, and demonstrate tissue extraction.
- Apply techniques of laparoscopic suturing (intra- and extracorporeal knot tying), safe use of electrosurgical modalities, and tissue extraction.
This activity will provide up to 7.75 Category 1 CME credits.
- Welcome, Introductions and Course Overview
- Didactic 1: Hot Topic – Value Based Care
- Didactic 2: Principles of Electrosurgery and Tissue Extraction
- Didactic 3: Surgical Anatomy and Safe Laparoscopic Entry; Management of Laparoscopic Complications; Quality Measures in Gynecologic Surgery
- Live Laparoscopic Demonstration: Pelvic Anatomy
- Questions & Answers
- Dry Lab
- Adjourn for Lunch
- WET LAB: Anatomic Structure Identification; Abdominal Entry, Hysterectomy, Cystotomy, and Suturing
All surgeons will perform:
o Laparoscopic hysterectomy
o Create and close a 2cm cystotomy
o Access retroperitoneum from left side
o Identify and dissect ureter anatomically
o Dissect avascular spaces
- Questions & Answers
- Course Evaluation
Please contact Liliana Nelson at 503-413-2150 or firstname.lastname@example.org