Legacy Emanuel Medical Center is a vibrant hospital in a popular and lively North/Northeast Portland neighborhood that provides everything from primary care to advanced surgery. Emanuel is a designated Level I Trauma Center, certified comprehensive stroke center, a large regional ECMO provider and the only burn center between Seattle and Sacramento.
Who we are
Legacy Health is the largest locally owned, nonprofit health system in the Portland/Vancouver area. Our program was founded in 1958 with the goal of training exceptional and diverse physicians by providing a vibrant learning environment. Today, we continue to offer an outstanding opportunity for residents to acquire the knowledge and skills required to thrive in the practice of internal medicine.
- A community program in two high-volume medical centers
- A hospital system that values and supports resident learning
- A group of program directors who are dedicated to academic teaching, diversity, and supporting the culture of the residents
- A group of residents who work hard, and spend time together inside and outside of the hospital
- Committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
"Here at Legacy, you will work hard and challenge yourself. Equally as important, we want to make sure you succeed in caring not only for your patients but your own wellness and development, too. You will leave our program with the skillset and confidence to be an amazing physician, teacher and leader."
- Dr. Paula Folger, Program Director
Our match commitment
- Our program uses a holistic review process and will review applications with this approach. Applicants can expect interview invites to be sent by October 5th.
- All interviews will be conducted virtually
- All applicants invited to interview with our program will be given the opportunity to do so.
- We will submit our match list at the end of January, after which we will offer the opportunity for optional in-person visits to explore our campus.
- During this visit, you will only interact with our residents and not our faculty or program director to ensure no bias is introduced to our process
- We will offer specific dates and if those fill we will work to arrange a visit in some capacity if an applicant would like
- This is completely optional and will have no impact on the applicant's ranking in our program, as our match list will already be certified.
Your Learning experience
Our residency program is based out of two community teaching hospitals in downtown Portland, Oregon. Our residents receive robust clinical experience firmly rooted in academic medicine. Resident rotations offer an integrated, comprehensive curriculum that includes close interactions with academic teaching faculty, specialists, and renowned professors. In addition, residents play a key role in educating medical students from nearby universities.
Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center was founded in 1875 on the same spot it sits today in the heart of charming, historic Northwest Portland. Legacy Good Samaritan is now one of the region’s most advanced medical centers and a magnet for specialty services. It is home to the Legacy Transplant Services, Legacy Devers Eye Institute, Legacy Cancer Institute and more.