Trauma care at Legacy: What makes us different?
Coordinated, life-saving care in one place.
- The “Corridor of Life" is the central part of our trauma center at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center and features five trauma care rooms and two operating suites to perform surgery right from the emergency department. We also have care units directly adjacent that minimize patient transport.
- Intensive Care Units (ICUs) specialize in critical care for trauma and surgical patients and are staffed by highly skilled nurses who are specially trained in trauma, neurosurgical, and cardiac critical care.
- Trauma Recovery and Acute Care Unit (TRACU) is a 34-bed step-down unit. Our staff cares for patients with complex neurological, surgical, orthopedic and trauma issues
Legacy Trauma Clinic provides follow-up to trauma patients, evaluation of psychological needs and addressing physical injuries. Our registered nurse case managers coordinate with primary care providers and insurance carriers, as well as:
- Physical therapy
- Social work
Legacy Health offers one-of-a-kind care for trauma patients with additional needs:
- Legacy Rehabilitation Institute of Oregon –– an inpatient unit at Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center for complete rehabilitation.
To support patients who have suffered a serious injury or illness, Legacy Trauma Services offers a range of services. These services include, but are not limited to:
- Direct to OR capabilities upon trauma patient arrival
- Consulting physicians in specialties such as vascular surgery, oral and maxillofacial surgery, neurosurgery, and orthopedic surgery who receive specialty trauma training and education
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) support for trauma patients
- 24 hour inpatient, surgical, and critical care medical coverage
- Special transport teams for adult and pediatric patients
- Transport of surgical support staff to hospitals with patients who cannot be moved
- Multidisciplinary case management
- Trauma risk assessment counselors, a prevention/intervention program
- Injury Prevention: Legacy Trauma Nurses Talk Tough
- Violence Prevention: Healing Hurt People
- Stop the Bleed training
- Specialty trained Trauma Resuscitation Nurses