Benefits and wellness
Benefits and wellness
The following benefits apply to both the Internal Medicine and the Podiatric Medicine and Surgery residency programs; and employed Fellowship programs.
First-Year Resident Salary The current salary for first year medical residents is $62,000. Anticipate a 2-3% cost of living increase annually.
Paid Time Off
- Education Leave Residents and Fellows are entitled to up to five days educational leave per year. Residents presenting papers or posters at a conference may apply for funding through the Resident/Intern Training Fund.
- Family/Parental/Medical Leave Residents and Fellows are allowed to take up to 12 weeks of leave per twelve- month period for approved family, parental or medical leave. Twenty- eight calendar days of paid leave are allowed for approved family, parental or medical leave.
- Sick Leave Residents and Fellows are entitled to up to fourteen paid calendar days of sick leave per year for acute illness, injury or approved medical leave.
- Vacation Leave Residents and Fellows receive 15 days of paid vacation per year.
- Wellness Days Residency training programs will allow a minimum of four ½-days off per year (½-day is defined as “at least 4 consecutive hours”) as Wellness Days. These are to be used for residents or their children to attend preventive or non-urgent health care appointments.
Assistance and Support
- Employee Assistance Legacy partners with Cascade Centers Inc. to provide an Employee Assistance Program for all employees. This program is a free and confidential benefit that can assist you and your eligible family members with any personal issues, large or small. In addition, Legacy contracts with the OHSU Wellness Program for Residents who provide free confidential counseling and coaching services. All problems or concerns can be addressed, whether personal or professional.
- Residency Peer Support Program All residents will have access to peer support through the Residency Peer Support Program. Peer Support contact information will be on the MyLegacy intranet. Residents may access trained peer supporters by reaching out to these individuals at any time. Alternately, residents may periodically be offered peer support after known adverse events. Participation is completely voluntary and it will be left to the resident’s discretion if they wish to accept or decline the offered peer support.
Insurance Legacy Health System provides full health, vision and dental insurance coverage for each resident and his/her qualified dependents for a nominal monthly cost to the resident. No matter how many covered dependents, the resident pays only the premium for an individual employee. Our health plan includes $500 annual benefit for alternative care. Life and disability insurance premiums are paid for the resident. Additional coverage may be purchased for the resident and his/her dependents for a reasonable monthly fee. The Legacy Flexible Spending Plan allows residents to save pre-tax dollars for reimbursement of eligible out- of-pocket healthcare and dependent care expenses.
Parking Parking is free for Residents and Fellows at all Legacy hospitals.
Malpractice Insurance Legacy is self-insured for $1 million per occurrence with a $3 million aggregate. Residents are fully covered during their residency training. This coverage is provided for all approved rotations, but does not provide coverage for independent moonlighting activities outside the scope of the training program.
Meals Meal cards are provided for use during on-call days. Occasionally, lunch is provided at noontime educational offerings.
Other Benefits Legacy employees receive discounted monthly Tri-Met passes. In addition, employees may ride free on the Portland Streetcar with a Legacy ID badge. Legacy covers the cost of mandatory resident education such as Basic and Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification. Both AT&T and Verizon provide monthly discounts to new Legacy subscribers.