Complete care for rehabilitation
Patients seeking to recover from serious conditions may require a stay in a hospital with specialized services. Legacy Rehabilitation Institute of Oregon (RIO) at Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center is an inpatient rehabilitation facility offering the highest level of care available.
We offer patients and their families a complete approach — round-the-clock medical and rehabilitation services in a caring environment, as well as therapy, skills training and counseling— all in one location. That approach offers an extra level of care that sets us apart from other programs.
Our comprehensive program includes:
- 24-hour rehabilitation nursing care, with a low patient-to-nurse ratio
- An expert team of board-certified physiatrists (rehabilitation doctors), certified rehabilitation registered nurses and certified stroke therapists
- Physical, occupational, recreational and speech therapists and neuro-psychology services for emotional support.
- State-of-the art equipment including the Zero-G gait and balance training system
- Internationally recognized Horticulture Therapy program
What is RIO?
Under the direction of doctors who specialize in rehabilitation (known as physiatrists), we create a personalized plan to best meet our patients’ needs that includes goals and a target date for discharge. Each week, the team meets to review and revise the plan to get the best possible results. Family members and patients are an important part of the team.
Legacy Rehabilitation Institute of Oregon coordinates job training, counseling, and physical and occupational therapies in the same location. This coordinated approach gives patients the best chance for positive results.
Legacy Rehabilitation Institute of Oregon has received a three-year accreditation from the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.
Our team at RIO can help patients through a range of conditions, including:
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain injury
- Multiple sclerosis
- Multiple trauma
Why choose RIO?
Patients and families may have many options for rehabilitation care. The levels of care and expertise of the staff varies within these programs. Understanding these differences can help you make the right choice. As an inpatient rehabilitation facility, RIO offers the highest level of care available.
In-patient rehabilitation or a skilled nursing facility?
A 2014 study shows that patients treated at a medical rehabilitation facility such as RIO on average had better long-term results than those treated at a skilled nursing home.
The study found that patients at an inpatient rehabilitation facility:
- Were discharged two weeks earlier than those at a skilled nursing facility
- Had fewer hospital readmissions per year for many of the conditions
- Had an 8 percent lower mortality rate
- Had 5 percent fewer emergency room visits per year
AMRPA - read the full report
RIO is the first in the Pacific Northwest to offer the ZeroG® Gait and Balance Training System, a robotic body-weight support system. The system prevents falls and uses dynamic body weight support to allow patients to practice walking, perform balance exercises and move from sitting to standing. Patients using the system may start exercising and walking faster, potentially shortening their length of stay.
Helping teens navigate mental health
READ MORE >
Children and trauma: What you need to know
READ MORE >
Shoulder injuries finally find relief from Dr. Kristen Thomas
READ MORE >